Carpetbaggers
When we bought the cabin it had carpet throughout. Not very nice or clean carpet, but carpet nonetheless.
Now, I am not a big carpet person in general, but given the cabin is in the woods and will be used for skiing and maybe a rental when it grows up, I knew I wanted hard floors. So one weekend I had a few beers and ripped it all out.
I actually really enjoyed removing the carpet. I got to lay on the floor and stretch and bang a crow bar with a hammer to remove the tacks. It was pretty fun, and I only hit my hand once which was much better than I anticipated. The weekend I decided to pull out the carpet was a few weeks before we would be installing the new floors, so Jose and I got crafty.
After I removed all the tacks, we actually rolled the carpet back down. That way we did not have to walk on plywood for weeks before the new floors were in (we both are always barefoot). It worked great, and when we were ready to install the new floors in a room, we just rolled the carpet and took it outside in about two minutes.
Now the kitchen tile was a whole nother story. This project was a bear. The terra cotta tile came up real easy, just to trick us. After that we discovered about 28 layers of other flooring. Much like the layers of an onion, if that onion was glued together with the most powerful glue on earth and required brute force to peel. We were able to get some of the floors and subfloor up with the old hammer and crow bar method, but several spots we needed to call in the big guns and used what I am told is called a multi oscillating tool. We broke several blades during this project. I did not ask what they cost.
![]() |
| you sunofabetch |
Project notes-
Duration: About 5 hours for the carpet, and 6 years to remove the kitchen tile
Price: FREE
Beverages: You know my motto with demo projects, drink up!



🤣🤣
ReplyDeleteYeah, when we had our kitchen floor tore out to install hardwood there were 2 courses of linoleum, an extra layer of plywood and tile on top just good measure. But believe me Erin, it’s much more fun watching somebody else do the work😉. Been enjoying your posts.
ReplyDeleteI would definitely have enjoyed watching someone else do this one!!! old linoleum is no joke! thanks for following along!
Delete