We broke the budget

Remember a while ago when I was bragging about how well I was staying on track with our cabin renovation budget?? Well, I have shot that budget to shit and am laughing at myself all the way to the bank now.

When we bought the little cabin in Alma, we knew it needed a lot of work which also meant a good chunk of change. We sat in a bar before putting in an offer and made a list of all the projects and all the estimated costs associated. To date, we have been sooo close on those numbers, except for one project, the deck. 

For some reason, we decided it would cost a cool 3k to build a new deck. Anyone want to guess how much it is actually going to cost? 5k, 6k?? WRONG! 

This deck is going to cost us around 19 thousand dollars when all is said and done (not including furniture I might add). That is actually about the same as the entire rehab has cost which seems really wild. 

this photo was taken before this man gave us the material quote, and before we hated him

At first I was a little shaken up when the deck store gave us that number, but then I had a few vodka sodas and remembered how amazing the deck is going to be when it is finally built, and I have accepted it. 

Please note, that number is just materials, my assistant Jose and I will be doing all the work. I think they would ask for a year's salary if we wanted someone to build it for us.

Why so much? Well, for one thing prices seem to still be zanny on all the things post-pandemic (or are we still in the pandemic? I don't really know). And also, this deck is going to be over 700 sq. feet which is larger than the actual cabin, so it is a huge space. Plus, I have started buying scratch off tickets, so I have a good financing plan in place.

the orange string is a mock up of where the deck will be one day

We have a lot of work ahead of us this summer, but I could not be more excited. The deck will be an L shape and will span the entire front and side of the cabin, the side will have an entrance off our bedroom, and there will be space for multiple seating areas and a large dining space. I am already imagining the parties we will throw. 

So if you are wondering where all our free time and money will be going the next few months, the answer is right out of our front door. 

More updates to come as this beast of a project (and the last one at that!) take shape.

Jose plotting and planning the layout


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garbage People

Da Beams