I painted an entire house without crying

You guys, I hate painting. Like so much. I hate it so much that I forget how much I hate it until a few years later when I do it again. This is my relationship to amusement parks as well.

I knew I wanted the interior of the cabin to be green because nature and shit, but anyone who has been to a paint store knows there are 1065707980.67 varieties of green. I had broken my wait a few years rule when painting the interior having just completed the exterior so I really wanted to pick the right shade. Picking a good shade isn't always my forte. I have repainted my office twice and my bathroom thrice in the 6 years I have lived in my house. To avoid that, I tested just about every green you can imagine. I do not rely on samples these days (see above bathroom comment) so I get the cute baby testers. It took several weeks for me to land on my greens.

I won't even lie and say that is all the samples I tested

By the time I finally decided on the two shades of green, Jose was shipped to Utah for a work trip, so I had to paint solo. 

Fred and I spent a friday night painting our brains off. He got more paint on himself than some of the walls did

I got a little help before jose took off for Utah, and he even matched the walls for paint day

The fabulous part about this paint project was everything I could possibly get paint on was being ripped out, so it made the task a little less terrible. Not a lot, but a little. I also didn't get drunk because in addition to not enjoying painting, I am not very good at it either, so this made things a little less fun but a lot less disastrous. I won't say I did a great job, but I far exceeded my expectations. The heavy lifting is done and now I just have some slight touchups. I plan to invite my artistic friends to help with that piece.

ruh roh. Luckily that carpet is not staying. Imagine the mess if I had a few PBRs in me? 

The shades I landed on are wellshire green for the kitchen/living/bath by Benjamin Moore and dusty olive by Behr for the hall and bedrooms.

Dusty olive, I picked this based on the name and my love of olives and martinis

Wellshire green, I picked this because it sounded British and has a little blue to it, which I really took a shine to


Project notes:

Cost- hmmm maybe $200 for paint and supplies. That is probably high.
Duration- It took weeks to land on colors. the major painting took about 12 hours. The living room I had a helper, the beds/bath/hall I did solo
Beverages- none, I didn't trust my drunk self with painting. choose other forms of medication when painting is my suggestion, unless you practice moderation unlike me
Lessons learned- I did all my solo painting Friday night because I was chomping at the bit to get it done. Seeing as we have not yet installed any lighting this was not the best choice. It made for a lot of touch ups the next morning. Make sure you have good light, or at least more than one light in the entire house when painting.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garbage People

We broke the budget

Da Beams