New floors!
One of the things I love most about the cabin reno is we have not yet created a walkway or steps from the driveway to the cabin so the walk up in the winter is treacherous and quite a work out. (I am not being sarcastic, I actually like this and get real excited when I look at my fitbit after unloading the truck). We started on the floors during a pretty snowy weekend so carrying the boxes up to the house was intense. I logged 3 miles just going back and fourth to the truck, and each box weighed 40 pounds.
![]() |
| Construction Boots are a must |
We went back and forth quite a bit on what flooring to go with. Eventually we landed on a luxury vinyl, but deciding on the color/tone was a whole process following that. I brought about 30 samples up and set them on the floor like a fun puzzle you trip over to come to a decision. I eventually went with an oak tone wood look.
Why fake wood you might ask? Well, we have hard wood in our Denver house and I saved for months when I first bought the house to have beautiful new Canadian ash floors installed. Fast forward to two days after install and I came home to find Fred had scratched them to smithereens during his daily throw down with the mail man. A few years later they are scratched A F. The flooring company informed me that no wood is a match for a 100 pound brown dog. So while I will always prefer real hardwood, it does not agree with Fred, and I am guessing not with ski boots either. Legend has it this vinyl is indestructible and so far it seems to be. I put those little samples through the ringer let me tell you.
![]() |
| I'm gonna scratch those floors fools |
The demo of the floors was a lot more work than the install (says the one who didn't actually install them). The flooring snapped together and Jose and I were able to get the entire cabin done in two weekends. I handed him planks, opened boxes, and stood on the places he needed some weight while I drank Moose Drool beers. It was a pretty easy project!
![]() |
| mad we are taking away his carpet, and making loud noises |
![]() |
| safety first...wear your construction slippers |
![]() |
| new floors! our own Christmas miracle |
Project Notes-
Duration: About 2 weekends (12 hours or so)
Cost: $3,000 for 600 sq feet
Lessons Learned: This one went pretty smoothly and there is not much I would change! Jose is a flooring pro.







Comments
Post a Comment