Ode to the trash heap
You guys, I am a real clean freak. I like everything to have its place and I get all sorts of stressed when they don't. So I was as shocked as anyone by my love for our cabin trash heap.
When we bought our house in Denver the previous sellers decided to leave us a bunch of treasures in the form of crap they didn't want to move. Now having never owned a house, I didn't realize you have to actually pay to throw shit away, so in this contract I made sure to include that every single thing be removed.
Naturally it was not. There was quite a bit of junk left in the shed and the house, and as we got to tearing things out we generated even more junk. We quickly realized we would need a dumpster but those bad lads aren't cheap so in order to get the biggest bang for our buck we collected as much trash as possible before having one delivered, and so was born the trash heap. We nurtured the heap for weeks and it grew into a beautiful child.
![]() |
| baby heap |
It was so glorious being able to open the door and just chuck whatever junk I had in my hand into the heap without worrying about hauling it down the driveway or actually throwing it away. We had the honor of living with the trash heap for several weeks. Jose, who is far less tidy than I, did not share my affinity for the trash heap. He hated it in fact and thought it made us look like we were running a meth lab out of the cabin.
![]() |
| big heap |
Eventually the day came when we had to bid farewell to the trash heap. As you can imagine getting dumpsters delivered in a small town isn't as easy as just ordering one online and the way timing worked out it was to show up the Wednesday before my parents were coming to visit, so we needed to get it loaded in one night. We drove up after work and started filling it up.
Now as I have suggested before, if a project requires no skill, you should be super drunk. So we were. I am not sure how many PBRs I ate that day, but it was a lot. By the end of the heap Jose and I were creating games like launching things from certain parts of the lot to see who could make it into the dumpster, climbing on top of it to mash the trash down, you know the usual.
![]() |
| that dumpster got filled to the brim |
It was actually a lot of fun and none of the trash was food garbage, because bears so it was a lot of large items and nothing was too gross. I did wear gloves, but only because I'm fancy.
Project notes:
Cost- $500 for the dumpster, trash was free
Beverages- lots of beer
Duration- about 4-5 hours to fill the dumpster




Comments
Post a Comment