Paint it black part two...
After spending an entire weekend painting the cabin, we were stoked to get back the following week to see how beauteous it looked.
When we pulled up the drive however we noticed several spots on the front of the cabin were much lighter than the rest. I just figured some woodland creature had dirtied things, and hosed it off. Nothing changed. So then I got to thinking...
The entire cabin was painted with the gallons of paint I purchased at a little paint shop in Denver, with the exception of two gallons used on the front of the cabin which were bought at the Ace hardware near the cabin when we ran out of paint. Normally I would be all hot and bothered by this, but I am trying this new calm thing out so I just took the remaining paint in the two new gallons along with some photos and went to Ace. Now, I love a small mom and pop shop and I would gladly give Ace hardware my money over Home Depot or the other fat cats, but I must be honest I am really struggling to adjust to the mountain standard of customer service. There are things I love, such as they know all the local dogs by name and even keep special treats for the ones who have dietary restrictions, everyone is kind, you can buy your eggs at the tow truck shop...things like that. But on the flipside, you will not be in and out of any business in under an hour no matter how small your task and there are zero F's given about pretty much everything.
So it should not have surprised me when I told the paint guy my issue and he responded, "oh the white wasn't shooting that day, so none of the paint mixed right". Cool bro. Luckily I was in a mask so he could not see the look of disgust on my face. After much discussion, he did give me one free gallon, but I had to pay for the other mess up, I was not about to be banned from the only hardware store within 75 miles, so I let it go.
We returned to the cabin with dots pretzels and two more (hopefully correct) gallons of paint and finished the job. This time the paint all matched and we love it so so much. The doors need some help. I went with a matte paint on the cabin, and it doesn't quite work for the doors, but I needed a break from exterior painting so that will wait for a later day, Otherwise, I am so happy. I find myself staring at black beauty from the street on the regular. It looks so good with the trees and the sky.
Project Notes-
Duration: 2 weekends
Cost: I did not keep track of what the siding cost, so I am estimating here but about $500 total for siding and paint I think. The doors were another $500, and the paint in total was around $400 so about a $1,400 all said and done.
Beverages: Quite a bit of beer. Lucky for us there was not much detail work so we drank a fair amount.
Tips: Get all your paint at the same store, or at least make sure the new store is "shooting white" that day






Wow, I admire your patience in Ace...don't think I would have been so cool. They should have given you all the paint for free.
ReplyDeletei normally would not have been, I think they got me on a good day :)
Delete