Kitchen Part 2

Our first step in weekend two of the kitchen reno was the backsplash. After the cabinets and counters were in, I assumed the rest of the kitchen reno would be a breeze. WRONG.  The backsplash was a nightmare and a half. In fairness, we should have known it would be after the fireplace tile project, but I must have blacked that out. First we covered the new counters with 32954 layers of plastic and cardboard. Then we got to work. We learned a few lessons on the fireplace project so this time around I had a new job, which was buttering the tiles with glue. I did that, Jose put them in place, then I cleaned the tiles once we had a good section in. I really love butter, so it was a good job for me.

constrUGGtion boots are a must

The tile took a lot longer than I anticipated, about 7 hours to lay it and then a few more the next day to grout. It did go much more smoothly than the fireplace, but I would not call it our most fun project. You see Jose and I agree on most things, but one area we do not see eye to eye is on how many snack breaks one should take while doing construction. I like to snack every hour on the hour. He likes to muscle it out and only snack at the end. That was the main issue with this project, we worked on tile for 8 hours with only 1.5 snack breaks like barbarians.


I electrocuted myself thrice while wiping the glue from the tile...

After the backsplash, we built windowsills using the same material as the counter. Next we installed a new light fixture and touched up the ceiling. I never understood popcorn ceilings, until we bought the cabin. The ceilings in the cabin I can only assume were installed by a drunk 11 year old based on how jacked up the drywall is, I would love if I could snap my fingers and popcornify them! 


proof I get my hands dirty too, but not enough that I remember to pack my own work pants.


We also swapped out the faucet for a new one, and put knobs on the cabinets. I am still searching for the right drawer pulls, but the masking tape looks beautiful in the meantime.

We are almost at the finish line! What is left is bringing up the new stove that is sitting in our garage in Denver and putting in a wine rack between the stove and refrigerator. A good pal recently gifted me a rack so we do not need to build one, and that will be joining the kitchen soon.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Garbage People

We broke the budget

Da Beams