Second time's a charm
I don't consider myself to be a cheap person, except when I am.
So, when the machine at the cabin kicked I was not about to pay two grand and deal with back orders. In hindsight I sure should have.
The washer and dryer at the cabin is an area where I really cheaped out, and as is usually the case, I got what I paid for.
Now let me start by justifying myself....
When we bought the cabin it had a working washer/dryer combo deal. This was not an expense I had budgeted for when I made my projections on my phone at a bar. I also, after buying the cabin did a little mini basement reno at the Denver house which included a very pricy new washer dryer. In addition to being spensive, thanks to the rona, it took about 7 years to finally have a set delivered.
So, when the machine at the cabin kicked I was not about to pay two grand and deal with back orders. In hindsight I sure should have.
Here is how the saga unfolded.
I found a $150 unit on Facebook.
We brought it up to the cabin.
The dryer did not work.
We then spent several hours and Jose endured multiple electrocutions trying to fix it.
We contacted the seller. He swapped it for a second unit. (very nice dude!)
We had to pick it up and load it into the truck for a second time.
The night before taking it to the cabin someone hit Jose's truck (I assume this happened because the tailgate was down to make room for the new machine). Now I am not a car person and certainly not a truck person, but Jose's truck is real sexy. It's all blacked out and I feel like a boss when I drive it. It is not even a year old (to us, I think it is 2 in real life). My heart hurt when I saw the giant dent some jerk left without so much as a note.
We were bummed but what can you do. So we haul the new old machine up to the cabin and load it in. Carrying a washing machine sucks. Carrying it for a second time is brutal. I have cuts on my hands still from dragging it up the stairs. We hook it up. The dryer again doesn't work. Cool.
We figured there is no way a second machine doesn't work so Jose took apart the electrical panel. Turns out the issue was there, not with the f-ing machine. So after hours, electrocutions, and a car accident we didn't even need the second machine.
I am sure one day we will look back and laugh, but not until I am done dealing with the insurance company for the truck. Also, I can't complain too much because for the most part all our projects have run super smoothly and been fun.
Project notes-
Cost: $150 for the machine, $40 for a new thermostat for the "broken" first set, $500 deductible: $690 total...
Time: I don't even want to say
Drinks: We got sauced on PBRs when we realized the error in our ways
Lessons learned: Just buy a new one, don't try and be a cheap ass


Comments
Post a Comment