Best laid plans....
Jose and I have been lucky enough to tackle almost every single cabin project on our own (mostly me of course, he just hands me tools) and not need to deal with contractors. One thing we decided was not in our skillset however was converting the house with runs on propane to natural gas. Seems like that is something a little over our head's and could result in blowing things up.
So, back in August, after months of phone calls and back and forth, I was able to get a gas line run from the street to the cabin. Step one done! The rest should have been easy. It was not.
All that was needed after that was to have a plumber/HVAC person run the line into the house and then convert our heater over to gas. This would also mean we could bring up our new stove which had been waiting patiently in the garage so it could be a gas stove like god intended it to be and not be converted into a propane stove.
Well, after failed attempts with 7 contractors, yes seven. We finally found one company willing to do the work but they wanted a cool 15k!!! for six hours of work and two thousand dollars of materials. No thanks. We politely declined and then I did something I never do, and gave up.
I am taking this as the universe as well as Hank Hill telling me that propane is ok for now. So instead of dropping 15 grand, Jose and I hauled the new stove up (on skis) converted it to propane, and bought two electric heaters on amazon for back up. The total cost was $200 and a few hours of work.
Maybe one day we will put that gas line that I spent months dealing with installing to good use, but for now I will continue to bitch about the cost of propane. Otis got his first taste of rehab life and is showing great promise as a construction pup.
![]() |
get used to the depot little buddy![]() |
![]() |
| during... |
![]() |
| helper pup |
![]() |
| reading directions like dorks! |
![]() |
| after... |







Comments
Post a Comment