Mountain Pup Training
The day after my 38th birthday, I gifted myself satellite dish internet up at the cabin. You read that right. Satellite dish, it's not pretty and it doesn't work all that well, but it is expensive!
Due to the location of the cabin, the only options are this, or starlink and there is a 2 year wait for the Elon Musk option. So I put my pride aside and added a hideous dish to the roof of my cute little cabin. The benefit, I can now work from here and stream all the Netflix (assuming the dish is working that day!).
Thanks to this dish, I decided why not lean into mountain life, and have been at the cabin since March 15. I am staying for the rest of the month. It has been wonderful.
I was a little worried I would get lonely or bored, but as luck would have it the snow has not stopped, so anytime I get bored there is shoveling to do. Otis also goes outside 1939934 times a day which keeps me on my toes.
As far as being lonely, I am reminded, this is a tourist area so everyone wants to talk. As long as you don't mind having that first drink solo, there are plenty of weirdos to meet at the bar. I have also been hitting lots of yoga and spin classes in Breckenridge to offset the drinking alone at bars.
The best part of the staycation in Alma however, has been seeing Otis turn into an adventure pup just like his brother in heaven. Otis loves the cabin so much. He pounces through the snow like a rabbit and is just the cutest ever when he tries to walk in the deep sections. I am sure no dog trainer worth their salt would recommend my methods, but I am working really hard at training him to be the dog I want and need. He has learned how to walk off leash and on (you don't leash your dog in the mountains, you would be kicked out), he has mastered sit. He sometimes will stay and is almost there with come. We are still working on shake and lay down, but I am feeling pretty good so far. Otis has proven he can be trusted to roam the lot and come back to the house.
He also has a teacher in the form of the good boy Wiley next door. I am so glad my new brown dog loves this place just like the OG brown dog did before him.


Comments
Post a Comment