The next adventure
Remember when I mentioned I decided to rent out the cabin and become a slumlord, and then didn't post again for a million years??
Well, it is not just to financially offset my shopping addition and horrible spending habits, though that is an exciting part of it. The main reason we decided to dip our toes into the landlord pond, is we're moving!!!
Not permanently (don't worry CO we will be back for you), but Otis, Jose and I are moving to New York City for the next several months!
I am beyond excited for a lot of reasons. I have always wanted to live in a big city, FOOD, Broadway, and also Jose's company will be paying our rent! It's basically a win win with a side of bagels and lox.
I love love love big cities, but over the last 10 years here in Colorado, I have become a bit of a mountain person, so it will be a culture shock and adjustment no doubt.
Have you ever seen one of those movies where a city slicker gets stuck in the country and they don't know what the hell to do with themselves?? Jose and I are about to be living that movie, but in reverse.
Now don't get me wrong, I grew up in the burbs and spend a good portion of my time in Denver, which is technically a city, but over the last few years I have become pretty crunchy, and the reality is, Denver is a baby city at best. I spend much more time outdoors than in, have no fashion sense or tolerance of big crowds, and don't really remember how to walk in heels. I will be able to adapt though I have no doubt, Jose on the other hand....
Jose is basically a feral cat. He spends 95% of his time alone in Utah, so he has no rules to live by. The few weekends he is with me, he wears his slippers in public and refers to them as his boots. He doesn't own a single shirt without a stain, and I am fearful for how he will manage living in the city.
In fact when I told my dad we were moving, to New York he got very upset and replied, "why would you want that, what is he going to do??? FISH FOR RATS??" I really appreciate the fact that my dad thinks the executives at Jose's company consult me before making decisions on which projects they take on (they don't), and also love that I now picture a rat on a fish hook anytime I think of Jose fishing. It brings me a lot of joy.
I am pretty excited about this social experiment. I love the energy of a big city, especially New York, but I am already missing my mountains and we haven't even hit the road yet. Our official move date is still a moving target, but it should be sometime in July. I plan to double the fun of landlord life by renting my house in Denver as soon as we have a hard date, and I will keep you guys updated. In the meantime, much to Jose's chagrin, Otis and I are now Yankees fans and I am thinking of this entire thing like an adult study abroad, except not abroad and my parents don't have to pay for it.
.jpg)
Comments
Post a Comment